Ok so let me make this very clear: my son hates hates absolutely hates studying for his hindi tests...why? Not sure....maybe because he does'nt know the language very well and so it is blind mugging up as he says. And where does that leave me? Well it leaves me hearing things like "I hate you mummy" "what I have to read this, write?", etc. I wonder why we don't have a more meaningful teaching methodology for languages in schools. Until a student has not decided to specialize in a particular language, what is the point of teaching them about aspects of the language they would never use in their daily routine. For example, with a second language the goal should be to familiarize the child with the language, equip him with reading and writing skills of the language, deep enough for him to appreciate poetry and read up high end novels in that language. If this is the objective then the syllabus for each class should be made in order to achieve this aim. Sadly, I don't find this is the case. So I find myself doing the hateful task of making my son memorize meaninglessly pages and pages of prose that he is expected to recollect and write down on a piece of paper called the weekly test paper.....tomorrow may be a better day:)
No comments:
Post a Comment